72 Tigers Die from Suspected Virus Outbreak at Tourist Park in Thailand

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 08:34am on 24 Feb 2026,Tuesday International

Authorities in Chiang Mai are investigating the deaths of 72 tigers at Tiger Kingdom, a popular tourist park. The tigers died within two weeks across two facilities. Officials said tests found canine distemper virus and a respiratory bacteria. The virus is highly contagious and can be fatal for big cats. More than 240 tigers live at the park. Staff said the illness was hard to detect early. The park has been closed for two weeks for cleaning and disinfection. Animal rights groups raised concerns about captive wildlife conditions. Officials are monitoring staff, but no human infections have been reported. (PC: Getty Images)

Read More at BBC

Supreme Court Allows Judges from Odisha and Jharkhand to Help Bengal SIR Over 80 Lakh Pending Claims

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 08:00am on 24 Feb 2026,Tuesday India

The Supreme Court has allowed civil judges from Odisha and Jharkhand to assist in West Bengal’s Special Intensive Revision (SIR) of electoral rolls. The court acted after noting nearly 80 lakh pending claims and objections. It said 250 judges may take around 80 days to finish the work. The court asked the Calcutta High Court to seek help from neighbouring states. The Election Commission will bear travel and stay costs. The final voter list will be published on February 28. If some checks remain pending, supplementary lists can be issued later. The court used its special powers to speed up the process. (PC: PTI)

Read More at News18

22-Year-Old Indian Deported from Canada After Police Flag Alleged Role in Extortion Network

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 07:56am on 24 Feb 2026,Tuesday India Global

A 22-year-old Indian national has been removed from Canada over alleged links to extortion activities. Surrey Police Service said Lovebir Singh was identified in early 2026. He had been in Canada since 2023. Police shared details with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). After an immigration probe, he was deported. Officials believe he was sent back to India. Authorities released his photo to seek more information. Canada removed over 22,000 inadmissible persons last year, a record high. In the first ten months of 2025, 2,831 Indians were removed. Investigations into extortion networks are ongoing. (PC: AP)

Read More at Hindustan Times

Food Queue Photo Triggers Racist Abuse Against Indians in Ireland

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 07:26am on 24 Feb 2026,Tuesday India Global

A photo published by The Irish Times showing students outside the Speir student pantry at the University of Galway has sparked racist abuse online against Indians in Ireland. The report highlighted the growing cost-of-living crisis and rising demand for food support. It did not mention the nationality of students using the pantry. However, some social media users focused on South Asian faces in the image. One user wrote, “Deport Indians,” while others made similar remarks. The backlash comes amid recent attacks on Indians in Ireland. The Indian Embassy has urged citizens to remain cautious and take safety precautions.

Read More at NDTV

Youth Congress Chief Arrested Over AI Summit Shirtless Protest

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 07:12am on 24 Feb 2026,Tuesday India

Delhi Police arrested Youth Congress president Uday Bhanu Chib over the shirtless protest at the AI Impact Summit. He was questioned for nearly 20 hours before his arrest. Police say he planned the protest and did not cooperate. He faces charges of criminal conspiracy and obstructing public servants. The case is now with the Crime Branch. Police told the court that the protest aimed to damage India’s image before foreign guests. Chib’s lawyer said he was not present at the protest and gave no instructions. Congress leaders called the arrest unfair and said peaceful protest is part of democracy.

Read More at India Today

Roads Blocked, Vehicles Torched, Dozens Dead: 10,000 Troops Deployed as Mexico's Security Crisis Explodes

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 05:48am on 24 Feb 2026,Tuesday International

Mexico has deployed 10,000 troops to restore order following the death of Nemesio "El Mencho" Oseguera, leader of the feared Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG) and the country's most-wanted drug lord. El Mencho was wounded during a military shootout in Tapalpa, Jalisco State, and died while being airlifted to Mexico City. His death triggered immediate and widespread cartel retaliation, with members blocking roads across 20 states while torching vehicles and businesses. The violence claimed dozens of lives within hours. Mexican authorities responded by deploying thousands of soldiers nationwide to contain the unrest and prevent further cartel-orchestrated chaos from destabilising the country's already fragile security landscape.

Read More at The Hindu

Storm Warning, , Distress Contact Then Silence: The Chilling Final Minutes of the Ranchi-Delhi Air Ambulance That Killed 7

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 05:40am on 24 Feb 2026,Tuesday India

A chartered air ambulance travelling from Ranchi to Delhi crashed shortly after takeoff on Monday, with all seven people onboard feared dead. The aircraft departed at 19:11 IST on a medical evacuation mission. At 19:34 IST, pilots contacted Kolkata Air Traffic Control requesting a route deviation due to bad weather. Minutes later, the aircraft lost both communication and radar contact approximately 100 nautical miles southeast of Varanasi. The wreckage was later discovered near Simaria in Chatra district, Jharkhand. Onboard two pilots Vivek Vikas Bhagat and Captain Savrajdeep Singh, one patient, two attendants, one doctor and one paramedic. The DGCA has initiated a formal investigation.

Read More at Times Now

'Wait and See': Mysterious Texts Alarm Iranians as US Deploys Biggest Middle East Military Force Since 2003 Iraq War

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 05:27am on 24 Feb 2026,Tuesday International

US-Iran tensions have reached a critical flashpoint, with Washington deploying its largest Middle East military presence since the 2003 Iraq invasion, including two aircraft carriers and fighter jets. Trump warned Iran of "a very bad day" if nuclear talks collapse, while anonymous texts circulated across Iran reading "The US President is a man of action. Wait and see." The State Department ordered nonessential diplomats to leave Lebanon. India issued an urgent advisory asking all nationals, including medical students, to exit Iran immediately. However, Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi expressed cautious optimism, stating a "good chance" exists for diplomatic resolution, with US envoy Steve Witkoff scheduled to meet Iran's team in Geneva. (PC: HT)

Read More at Hindustan Times

5,600 Flights Cancelled, Power Out for 450,000 Across Major Cities as Decade's Worst Snowstorm Paralyses US Northeast

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 05:05am on 24 Feb 2026,Tuesday International

A massive bomb cyclone nor'easter described as the strongest storm in a decade battered the northeastern United States from Maryland to Maine on Monday, dumping over two feet of snow across the metropolitan Northeast. More than 5,600 flights were cancelled, with an additional 2,000 grounded Tuesday. Schools shuttered across New York, Boston and Philadelphia, while over 450,000 households lost power. Central Park recorded 19 inches of snowfall, while Warwick, Rhode Island surpassed three feet, breaking a 1978 record. Emergency declarations were issued across multiple states. The United Nations even postponed a Security Council meeting. Meteorologists warned another storm could strike the region later this week. (PC: X)

Read More at NDTV

"We Can’t Just Give Him Everything He Wants": Zelenskyy Says Giving Russia What It Wants Means Losing Ukraine Forever

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 04:42am on 24 Feb 2026,Tuesday International

On the fourth anniversary of Russia's full-scale invasion, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy acknowledged deep national exhaustion but firmly rejected any surrender, warning that capitulating to Moscow would mean Ukraine losing its sovereignty entirely. Speaking to CNN, Zelenskyy called Putin himself "a war" and urged stronger US pressure on Russia, bluntly stating Trump was not doing enough. He indicated Ukraine could consider freezing front lines but refused withdrawing troops from Donetsk. Peace talks remain deadlocked over security guarantees, with Kyiv insisting Congressional approval must precede any settlement. Separately, Zelenskyy declared on X that Putin has already triggered World War III, with Ukraine serving as the world's defensive outpost. (PC: X)

Read More at News 18

Menu