‘Chinks in The Armour’: Delhi High Court Questions Meta’s Copyright System After Creator Claims False Ownership

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 03:04am on 13 Aug 2026,Thursday Tech Today

The Delhi High Court questioned Meta’s copyright-protection system after creator Mohit Kumar alleged that unauthorised users were exploiting its Rights Manager tool to falsely claim ownership of original videos. Justice Anup Jairam Bhambhani directed Meta to disclose details of its Rights Manager policy, including eligibility requirements and criteria for granting access. Kumar, an artificial intelligence, e-commerce and business coach, claimed that individuals downloaded his original educational videos and subsequently used Rights Manager to assert copyright ownership, while he could not access the same protection system. The court’s remarks highlighted concerns over potential loopholes in Meta’s copyright safeguards. The proceedings seek greater transparency around access, verification and safeguards governing Meta’s copyright enforcement mechanisms. (PC: Unsplash)

Read More at Times Now

Government Seeks Action Report From Meta on Deepfakes, AI Content and Bot Accounts

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 07:19pm on 07 Aug 2026,Friday Tech Today

The Centre on Friday held a third day of discussions with Meta, focusing on technical measures to address deepfakes, child sexual abuse material (CSAM), bot accounts and unlabelled AI-generated content. During the meeting, Meta explained how its systems work and outlined plans to tackle the government's concerns. Officials asked the company to implement specific measures and report back on the outcomes. The government also questioned why AI-generated videos without labels continue to circulate despite IT Rules requiring synthetic content to be identified. The talks followed two days of meetings led by IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw after Meta was summoned over the temporary restriction of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Facebook post. (PC: La Matin Blue)

Read More at The Telegraph

Uttarakhand Innovator's Electric Flying Car Could Transform Himalayan Connectivity and Emergency Response

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 02:36pm on 07 Aug 2026,Friday Tech Today

A young innovator from Uttarakhand's Almora district has successfully tested Hapida Skynex, an electric personal flying vehicle developed through his startup, Hapida Sky Private Limited. Ravi Tamta, from Kaflikhan village near Jageshwar Dham, says the prototype is powered entirely by electricity, eliminating the need for petrol, diesel or CNG while offering a zero-emission transport alternative. The successful test marks a major milestone after years of research and development, bringing personal air mobility closer to reality. Tamta aims to make flying vehicles safe, affordable and sustainable. Experts say the technology could improve connectivity in remote Himalayan regions, support disaster relief, strengthen emergency response and open new tourism opportunities across Uttarakhand.

Read More at India.com

Google Built a ChatGPT-Style AI Before OpenAI but Chose Not to Release It, Says Jeff Dean

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 07:36pm on 06 Aug 2026,Thursday Tech Today

Google developed a ChatGPT-like artificial intelligence chatbot nearly a year before OpenAI launched ChatGPT, but chose not to release it publicly due to concerns over safety, fairness, and the potential risks of generative AI, according to renowned computer scientist Jeff Dean. Company leaders feared the technology could produce harmful or unreliable responses that might damage user trust and Google's reputation. The decision allowed OpenAI to seize the early lead in the generative AI race after ChatGPT's debut in late 2022. Since then, Google has accelerated its AI efforts through Gemini and other advanced AI products. (PC: X)

Read More at Hindustan Times

iPhone 18 Fold May Launch Next Month; Price Could Start at ₹1.89 Lakh in India

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 05:13pm on 05 Aug 2026,Wednesday Tech Today

Apple is expected to launch its first foldable iPhone next month alongside the iPhone 18 series. The company has not confirmed the device, but several leaks suggest it could be called the iPhone Ultra. Reports say the phone may start at around ₹1.89 lakh in India, with top models costing over ₹2.3 lakh. It is expected to feature a book-style foldable design, a 7.8-inch inner display, and a 5.5-inch outer screen. The phone may use Apple's A20 chip, 12GB RAM, and a dual-cell battery. All details remain based on leaks until Apple's official announcement.

Read More at First Post

Mark Zuckerberg Apologises Over Child Abuse Content, Deepfakes During India Talks; No Mention of PM Modi Video, Say Sources

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 12:42pm on 05 Aug 2026,Wednesday Tech Today

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg apologised for the spread of child sexual abuse material (CSAM), deepfakes and shortcomings in content moderation during high-level meetings with the Indian government, according to official sources. The discussions focused on platform accountability, compliance with Indian laws and online child safety. Sources said the Centre warned Meta that platforms cannot profit from harmful content while seeking safe harbour protection under the IT Act. Officials also argued Meta's algorithms actively decide content distribution, questioning its intermediary status. Government sources said the meetings did not include any discussion on the temporary removal of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Facebook video. (PC: India Today)

Read More at India Today

Telegram Disappears from Apple App Store Worldwide, Returns Without Explanation

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 03:46am on 04 Aug 2026,Tuesday Tech Today

Telegram briefly disappeared from Apple's App Store across multiple countries, preventing new users from downloading the messaging app on iPhones and iPads before it was later restored. Neither Apple nor Telegram explained the temporary global delisting, and existing users continued accessing the platform without disruption. The unexplained removal sparked widespread speculation but was not officially linked to regulatory action, policy violations or security concerns. The incident comes as Telegram faces mounting scrutiny worldwide. Founder Pavel Durov was recently charged by Russian authorities with allegedly facilitating terrorism and placed on an international wanted list, while Australia has launched legal proceedings over extremist content moderation. Durov denies wrongdoing. (PC: Mobi Devices)

Read More at News18

WhatsApp Reviews Multiple Accounts in India, Temporarily Blocks Access for Up to 24 Hours

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 08:24pm on 03 Aug 2026,Monday Tech Today

Multiple WhatsApp users in India reported on Monday that their accounts were placed "under review", temporarily blocking access to messaging and calling features for up to 24 hours. Affected users said they received no prior warning before seeing a notice stating their account activity and device information were being checked for compliance with WhatsApp's terms of service. Responding to the issue, WhatsApp said its automated systems sometimes make mistakes while detecting misuse. The company said it works to restore wrongly flagged accounts as quickly as possible but did not disclose how many users were affected or the exact cause. (PC: HT)

Read More at Hindustan Times

Meta Apology Rejected as Parliament Demands Legal Action Over PM Modi Video Removal

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 04:12pm on 03 Aug 2026,Monday Tech Today

Meta apologised to the government during a Parliamentary Standing Committee meeting over the brief removal of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Facebook post last week, days after receiving a government notice. The company said its deepfake detection mechanism mistakenly flagged the video, causing a technical glitch that temporarily removed the content. However, the parliamentary panel rejected the apology, saying accountability required more than an explanation. Members demanded that Meta identify responsible officials and face legal action. The committee also passed a resolution condemning the platform and urged Union Home Secretary Govind Mohan to initiate strict action against Meta's officials, arguing that the incident warranted stronger regulatory and legal scrutiny than an apology alone. (PC: Times Now)

Read More at Times Now

'Attempt to Destabilise Country': Parliamentary Panel Seeks Zuckerberg's Public Apology Over PM Modi Video Removal

Brief by Shorts91 Newsdesk / 03:54pm on 03 Aug 2026,Monday Tech Today

A Parliamentary Standing Committee has demanded a public apology from Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg over the temporary removal of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Facebook video, warning that the company’s safe harbour protection under Section 79 could be reviewed if it fails to respond. Committee chairman and BJP MP Nishikant Dubey called the incident “serious”, alleging it reflected an attempt to destabilise the country after the Prime Minister’s video remained unavailable for about five hours. Meta has maintained that the removal resulted from an internal technical glitch and was unrelated to any government request or content moderation decision. The company restored the video within hours and issued an apology for the error. (PC: Music Tech)

Read More at News18

Menu